Thursday, September 07, 2006

Proverbs 7:1,5a

Proverbs 7:1,5a My son, keep my words, And treasure my commands within you. (5a) That they may keep you from ...
The Lord loves us so much that He wants to keep us from harm, from being separated from Him through sin. He gave us His word to keep us from those things that would destroy us. However He gave it to us to be more than just a reference when we need it, He gave it to us so that we might write it upon our heart.

Psalms 119:10-12 With my whole heart I have sought You; Oh, let me not wander from Your commandments! (11) Your word I have hidden in my heart, That I might not sin against You! (12) Blessed are You, O LORD! Teach me Your statutes!
Jesus also told us that whatever we treasure, whatever is most precious and special to us, is going to be the place where our heart is also. What we treasure will become our focus.

Matthew 6:21 "For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
God has provided His Word then that we might make it our treasure, so that it would become part of our heart, integrated into our life, that we might not sin against Him.

By extension, we know that Jesus Christ is the Word of God or the logos or express revelation of the Father (Heb 1:1-3). Because Jesus is the Word of God made flesh, we also need to treasure Him personally, to treasure His love and forgiveness, His grace and mercy, and above all his complete life and death and resurrection of sacrifice for us, that we might have our sins purged, that we as scarlet might be made white as wool. If we treasure our relationship with Jesus above all else, He will dwell within us and conform us to His image (Rom. 8:29), day by day.

As we make the Word of God our treasure, we will be kept from evil and be pleasing to our Father who loves us. Is that our desire today?

No comments: