Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Proverbs 30:5-6

Proverbs 30:5-6 Every word of God is pure; He is a shield to those who put their trust in Him. (6) Do not add to His words, Lest He rebuke you, and you be found a liar.
I have been found guilty at times of putting words in God's mouth. How so? The Lord asks me to do certain things, by the stirring of His Spirit in my heart, and in my pride and self focused flesh I add to that command other things which "seem good" at the time. But the Lord reminds me ever so faithfully that my own understanding of things are not to be trusted.

Proverbs 3:5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding;
Instead He calls me to simple obedience. When He says go there, I go. When He says look away, I look away. He calls me to obedience and it is by this obedience that my success is defined. My pride would have me build upon what He has called, either for selfish fleshly reasons (to consume it upon my lust) or for selfish spiritual reasons (to be great in the Kingdom, to build a kingdom, to be "something", to have recognition, to be regarded as spiritual). My sin is practically boundless I've discovered. If it's not outright two-fisted grabbing of blatent sin it can be the simple addition of a line or two upon what God has told me. Both are sin, both misrepresent what the Father has said, and hence Who He is. Both are not standing on the rock of Truth.

The Proverbs (v5-6) tells me to trust in His Words, they are a shield, not my own words, for they make me a liar and a liar has no support from God. If I lie, I place myself outside of the protection of the Father. Will He abandon me? No, for His character will not allow it. However He will most certainly discipline me. Praise Him for that!

Proverbs 3:11-12 My son, do not despise the chastening of the LORD, Nor detest His correction; (12) For whom the LORD loves He corrects, Just as a father the son in whom he delights.
Yet as Paul discussed, the battle rages within me between my spirit and my flesh! In my flesh I do those things that my spirit doesn't want to do, and in my flesh I cannot do those things which my spirit yearns to do.

Romans 7:23-25 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members. (24) O wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? (25) I thank God; through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, with the mind I myself serve the law of God, but with the flesh the law of sin.
The answer is found in Jesus Himself. As I seek to love Him with all my heart (Deut 6:5) I will be conformed to His image (Rom 12:2), I will desire to obey, and I will become quiet before Him. The questions will silence, my words will come to and end and there I will find Him and His will. This is the place I long for!

May God have mercy and give us grace today to seek Him with all our heart. He says that if we seek Him, we will surely find Him (Mat. 7:7). If we return to Him, not adding to what He has spoken, He will turn to us (Mal. 3:7). Praise God that He speaks, may we listen with love and obedience.

No comments: